Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I will survive... or something.

Health update: I don't think my apartment is trying to kill me. I am still experiencing some strange symptoms although they have faded as of today, so hopefully I'll recover soon. Good news is, now that I am single and poor again, I qualify for free county healthcare!

He told me last week that he introduced her to his son. It was in a casual, social setting. It was like a punch to the gut. On a personal level, it feels so familiar. I was that girl at one point. But on a reasonable adult level, it just seemed stupid. Although she was introduced as a "friend", I don't want L to worry his little head one bit about the idea that there would be a new woman entering his life right now. That must be scary for a kid. Kids are keener than we give them credit for. I gave him my opinion on why that was a bad idea for L. He told me one of the benefits of being divorced is not being told what to do. However, he "entertained" my thoughts on the matter because I was an important part of L's growing up. I was reminded that he often thinks about how he is affected in a situation, not how others are affected. 

I know I am the one who wanted to leave... but it still hurts.
She was a stranger in her own house
The wind beneath her feet
Isn't it strange when you figure out
The monsters in your sleep?
We had dinner together tonight. I was going to swing by to say hi to L and we decided to grab food. It was nice. M holds his gaze on me a little too long.

People don't do this after breaking up. Maintain friendships. I now see what they are trying to avoid. Punches to the gut and uncomfortably long gazes.


All of these little discoveries and sharing of information feel like I'm being TKOed in the ring. But I just keep getting back up. Eye of the Tiger? Rocky theme song? I Will Survive? Something like that.
And together we'll find, we're better apart
I don't know the way and I don't know the start
But I won't regret you, I won't regret you

1 comment:

  1. That sounds super difficult and sorry to hear you are hurting. Pain is a harsh teacher but has some wonderful lessons for us all.

    ReplyDelete